Science Ambassadors are undergraduate students selected through a competitive process, by their departments to represent them at College of Science events. Ambassadors are nominated based on the students’ high level of academic achievement, undergraduate research projects or internships, and outstanding leadership qualities. They are outgoing, motivated leaders among their peers.
Ambassadors can expect a year filled with a variety of activities:
- Business meetings
- Recruitment events
- Hands-on, outreach events
- Social gatherings
- Community service projects
- VIP events
Ms. Erin Deely, Advisor
Students must be nominated and selected by their department. Only students meeting the following requirements can be nominated:
- 3.0 GPA, minimum (overall and in the major)
- Enrolled in a primary major in the College of Science
- Currently involved with research or internship program in a field of science (but the research need not be done with a CoS faculty member)
- Strong speaking skills
- International travel, study abroad, or some other foreign experience is strongly desired
- Commit to serve for a minimum of one year
- Participation in 6-8 events per semester on average, including business meetings, is required to remain in good standing in the program.
Nomination packet must include:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one from departmental faculty)
- faculty mentor for the student’s independent research project
- Resume (include employment history, clubs, and extracurricular activities as appropriate)
- copy of transcript (official transcript not required)
- completed application form
- The College of Science Advisor will be responsible for training, supervising and mentoring the UA SCIENCE Ambassadors.
- Ambassadors will be able to answer general questions about their departments and majors.
- Ambassadors will have general knowledge of the UA application process, financial aid, on-campus housing, campus health, and various clubs and activities on campus.
- Graduating Ambassadors are recognized for their service at the College of Science Awards Reception, held a week before Commencement.
- Names of graduating Science Ambassadors will be highlighted in the Commencement program.
- Interaction with many College of Science faculty members, the dean, and an opportunity to work with other high achieving students in other Departments within the College of Science.
- UA SCIENCE Ambassador polo shirt
- Life Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Physics and Space Sciences
- Mathematics and Computational Sciences
- Neural, Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences
- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Graduation and Commencement
- Support UA Science
- Community Connections